top of page

Child (Permanent) Visa
 (Subclass 101) (Subclass 802)

Who Can Apply For Child Subclass 101 or Subclass 802 Visa?

A child under 18 years of age and dependent on a parent who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an Eligible New Zealand citizen can apply for this visa.


The child may either be a biological, adopted, or a stepchild of the sponsoring parent. If the child is an adopted child of the parent, then the child must have been adopted BEFORE the parent became an Australian citizen or a permanent resident. But if the child was adopted AFTER the parent became an Australian permanent resident or citizen then an Adoption (Subclass 102) Visa may be applied to sponsor the child. [A child adopted in Pakistan cannot make a valid application for a Child (Subclass 102) visa].


The child may also be sponsored by the current cohabiting spouse or de facto partner of the Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident parent.


If the child is over 18 (but under 25), the child can still apply for this visa. However, there will be additional requirements that the over-18 child will have to satisfy. For instance, the child must be a full-time student and financially dependent on the parent.


An application for a Child visa may be made while the child is IN Australia (onshore) or while the Child is OUTSIDE Australia (offshore). If the Child visa application is made offshore, then it would be made as a Child (Migrant) (Class AH) (Subclass 101) Visa application. But if that application is made onshore, then it will be made as a Child (Residence) (Class BT) (Subclass 802) Visa application.

Citizenship by Descent may also be an option for a child to permanently live in Australia if the child can establish that the child was born outside Australia to a parent who was an Australian citizen at the time of the child’s birth.



Main Benefits of a Child Visa​


A Child who is granted a Child visa can:

  1. Live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely.

  2. Travel to and from Australia as many times as they like.

  3. Enrol in Australia’s world-class public healthcare scheme, Medicare.

  4. Apply for Australian Citizenship upon becoming eligible.


What Do You Need To Qualify For Child Visa?​


A child who applies for a Child visa:


  • Must be under 18 years of age and be financially dependent upon their parent.

  • If the child is over 18, the child must be a full-time student and financially dependent on their parent.

  • Must have a parent who is either an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen. The parent’s current cohabiting spouse/partner can also sponsor the child.

  • Must apply separately from other siblings.

  • Must meet the health and character-related criteria.

  • If asked to provide Assurance of Support then must be able to provide it.


​​Your Potential Questions Answered For You


  • A Child visa application must be made on paper and sent to the nearest processing office (no internet application).

  • Depending upon the current location of the child, the child visa application is made either onshore or offshore.

  • Each of the child’s siblings must make a separate application.

  • A child applying for a Child visa may include their dependent children in their visa application.

  • Sponsorship may be refused if the sponsoring parent has been charged with offences involving children.

  • The child will require the consent of the other parent or any other person who could legally decide where the child must live.

  • If the child is disabled/incapacitated and is dependent upon the parent, then no age limit applies to that child.

Cost of Child Visa In Australia

AUD $3,055 (Primary Applicant)

  • There are additional charges for any additional applicants.


Estimated Processing Time


09 – 29 Months.

See Our Blog(s) On This Visa To Learn More

If you would like to discuss your circumstances and options with us, please feel free to contact us. We are here to help you with your Parent visa application.


Warning! Please note that Australian immigration laws and policies are highly complex and dynamic. Therefore, no information provided on this website in relation to Australian immigration laws and policies (or on any other matter) is intended to be legal advice. Please read our Terms and Conditions.


bottom of page