top of page

Dependent Child (Temporary) Visa
(Subclass 445)


Who Can Apply For This Visa?

A ‘dependent child ’ can apply for this visa if the child is under 18 years of age and is dependent on a parent.


(If the child is over 18 years of age, the child can still apply for this visa, but there will be additional requirements to satisfy. For instance, the child must be a full-time student and financially dependent upon the parent.)


The parent must hold an eligible visa at the time the child makes their Dependent Child (Subclass 445) visa application. For example, the parent may be holding one  of the following visas:



If the dependent child can satisfy the above requirements, the child must be sponsored by the Australian Sponsor of the above-mentioned visa-holding parent.


​Once the child is granted a subclass 445 visa, the child can travel to, and stay in, Australia until the child’s parent’s permanent visa application is approved.


Main Benefits of This Visa​


A Child who is granted a Subclass 445 visa can:

  1. Live, work, and study in Australia.

  2. Apply for an extension of their stay in Australia.

  3. Travel to and from Australia as many times as they like.

  4. Be included in the parent’s permanent visa application as a dependent child and be granted permanent residency status in Australia.

  5. Enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare, after being added to their parent’s permanent visa application.

  6. Apply for Australian Citizenship upon becoming eligible.


What do You need To Qualify For This Visa?​


A dependent child who applies for a subclass 445 visa:


  • Must be under 18 years of age and be dependent on their parent.

  • Must be a full-time student and financially dependent on their parent, if they are over 18 years of age.

  • Must have a parent who holds one of the above-mentioned visas.

  • Must be nominated or sponsored by the Sponsor of their parent. (Parent who holds one of the above-mentioned visas).

    • May still be able to prove their eligibility if the Sponsor of the parent (who also sponsored the child) had died before the parent was granted a permanent visa.

  • Must apply separately from other siblings.

  • Must meet the health and character-related criteria.


​​Your Potential Questions Answered For You:


  • Subclass 445 application must be made on paper and sent to the nearest processing office (non-internet application).

  • You can lodge your visa application in or outside Australia.

    • However, if you make your Subclass 445 visa application outside Australia, you must be outside Australia at the time of decision on your visa application.

  • Each of the child’s siblings must make a separate application.

  • A child applying for subclass 445 may include their dependent children in the visa application.

  • Sponsorship may be refused if the parent or parent’s Sponsor has been charged with offences involving children.

  • The dependent child will require the consent of the other parent or any other person who could legally decide where the child must live.

  • If the child is disabled/incapacitated and is dependent upon the parent, then no age limit applies to that child.

  • If the parent’s permanent visa has already been granted, then the child cannot be granted a Subclass 445 visa. In that case, the child can make a Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101) Visa Application.

  • Once the child, who holds a subclass 445 visa, is included in their parent's permanent visa application, they will be automatically granted a permanent visa when their parent’s permanent visa application is approved.


Cost of This Visa

AUD $3,055 (Primary Applicant)

  • There are additional charges for any additional applicants.


Estimated Processing Time


4 – 19 Months.

See Our Blog(s) On This Visa To Learn More

If you wish to discuss your options with us, please feel free to Contact Us​​​

Warning! Please note that Australian immigration laws and policies are highly complex and dynamic. Therefore, no information provided on this website in relation to Australian immigration laws and policies (or on any other matter) is intended to be legal advice. Please read our Terms and Conditions.

bottom of page