top of page

Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa 
(Subclass 173)


What Is a  Temporary Contributory Parent Visa?

The Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa provides a pathway for parents of eligible children to settle permanently in Australia. If the parents later wish to live permanently in Australia, they can apply for a Contributory Parent (Permanent) (Subclass 143) Visa.

Eligible children — who are at least 18 years old and have lived in Australia for at least 2 years — can Sponsor their parents on this visa if they are Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.

If a child is not yet 18 years old then the following can Sponsor the parent of that child:

  • A child’s spouse (if the spouse is at least 18 years old and is a settled eligible Sponsor); or

  • A guardian or a relative of the child (if that guardian/relative is at least 18 years old and is a settled eligible Sponsor); or

  • If the spouse is also under 18 years of age then a guardian or a relative of the child’s spouse who has turned 18 and is a settled eligible Sponsor); or

  • A community organisation. (Proof of commitment to support the applicants upon their arrival in Australia will be required.)

This Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa has a shorter processing and queuing time as compared to some other parent visas. However, an applicant for this visa will have to pay a significantly higher visa application fee.

This Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa allows an applicant to live in Australia for two years. However, this temporary visa cannot be renewed or extended. Instead, the parents (applicants) can apply for a Contributory Parent (Permanent) (subclass 143) within 2 years of living in Australia on a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa if they plan to permanently live in Australia.​

Main Benefits of This Visa​

If you hold this visa then you are eligible to:

  1. Live, work, and study in Australia for up to two years

  2. Enrol in a world-class Medicare scheme (to cover the costs of your health-related issues)

  3. Include your spouse and dependant children in your visa application

  4. Travel to and from Australia as many times as you like

  5. Apply for a Contributory Parent (Permanent) (Subclass 143) Visa, and later apply for Australian Citizenship upon becoming eligible​


Requirements of Temporary Contributory Parent Visa​

  • You must not hold, or have applied for, a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa.

  • You have an eligible Sponsor/child who is a settled Australian citizen  or a Permanent Resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen

  • You meet the ‘balance of family test' (that generally means that, at least, half of your children live in Australia).

  • You are able to provide an Assurance of Support (unless you are applying for the Retirement Pathway).

  • You meet the health and character criteria.


​​Things You Should Know About Temporary Contributory Parent Visa

  • You can lodge your visa application in or outside Australia. However, you must be outside Australia at the time of the decision on your visa application.

  • If you like, you can directly apply (paper application) for a Contributory Parent (Permanent)  (subclass 143) visa application without going through this temporary Contributory Parent (subclass 173) visa pathway.

  • There is no Bridging visa for Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa applicants, even if you apply for this visa onshore.

    • A Bridging visa will be granted only to those who lodge a Contributory Parent (Subclass 143) visa onshore while they hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa.

  • Beware of visa Condition 8515: The visa holder must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia.

  • Applicants (parents) can include their dependant children in their Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa application. However, included children must ideally be under 18 years of age at the time of decision. It is unlikely that a dependant child who is 23 years or older will be granted a visa as an ‘additional applicant’.

  • If you are in Australia and hold a substantive visa that is subject to the 8503 visa condition, you will need a waiver before you can apply for this visa.

Cost of This Visa

AUD $31,980

In contrast to a Sponsored Parent (subclass 870) visa, there is no fee for the Sponsor to pay for a Contributory Parent (subclass 173) visa.

Note: at the time of lodging a subclass 173 visa application, the Applicant will have to pay only the base application charges (also known as ‘first instalment’) as follows:

  • Main Applicant: AUD 2850

  • Any additional applicants – 18 years and over: $1425 (per applicant).

  • Any additional applicants – 18 years and under: $715 (per applicant)


The following amounts in ‘Second Instalment’ are payable before this visa can be granted:

  • AUD 29,130 (each applicant)

  • AUD 2,095 for each child who was under 18 years of age at the time of application


Where a ‘Second Instalment’ is required to be paid before the visa grant, the visa will not be granted unless the required amount has been paid. The visa may be refused unless the amount owing is paid within the required period.


Estimated Processing Time

3 – 4 Years.

See our Blogs On This Visa To Learn More

  • Search ‘Contributory Parent Visa’, ‘Parent Visa Australia’, or ‘subclass 143 visa' on our Blogs Page.

  • Click here to see our other visa services. 

Should you wish to discuss your circumstances and options with us, please feel free to Contact Us. We are here to help you with your Parent visa application.


Warning! Please note that Australian immigration laws and policies are highly complex and dynamic. Therefore, no information provided on this website in relation to Australian immigration laws and policies (or on any other matter) is intended to be legal advice. Please read our Terms and Conditions.

bottom of page