top of page

Subclass 864 Visa - (Onshore)

Who Can Apply For This Visa?

The Contributory Aged Parent (subclass 864) visa (Permanent) allows elderly parents of eligible children to join their families and permanently settle in Australia.  Eligible Australian children – who are at least 18 years old and have been living in Australia for at least two years as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens – can Sponsor their Aged parents on this visa.

If the Sponsoring child is not yet 18, then the following can sponsor the parent(s) of that child:

  • A child’s spouse (if the spouse is at least 18 years old and is a settled eligible Sponsor); or

  • A guardian or a relative of the child (if the guardian/relative is at least 18 years old and is a settled eligible Sponsor); or

  • If the spouse is also under 18 years of age, then a guardian or a relative of the child’s spouse who has turned 18 and is a settled eligible Sponsor); or

  • A community organisation. (Proof of commitment to support the applicants upon their arrival in Australia will be required).

A Contributory Aged Parent — Subclass 864 visa has a shorter processing and queuing time than certain other parent visas. However, an applicant for this visa will have to pay a significantly higher visa application fee (also known as ‘contribution’).​

Main Benefits of This Visa​

  1. Live, work, and study in Australia permanently.

  2. Enrol in the world-class Medicare scheme.

  3. Travel to and from Australia as many times as you like during the validity of your visa.

  4. Include your eligible family members in your application.

  5. Apply for Australian citizenship upon becoming eligible.


What do You need To Qualify For This Visa?​


​​Your Potential Questions Answered For You

  • Contributory Aged Parent - Subclass 864 visa application is a ‘paper application’ that must be completed and sent to the Department of Home Affairs’ Parents’ Visa Processing section, Perth.

  • If you are in Australia as the holder of a valid visa (for example, a Visitor Visa) and make a Contributory Aged Parent - Subclass 864 visa application, you may be granted a 'Bridging Visa A'.

    • A ‘Bridging Visa A’ allows you to remain lawfully in Australia while the Department processes your subclass 864 visa application. An Applicant will have full work rights once their Bridging Visa A comes into effect.

  • If you are granted a Contributory Aged Parent Subclass 864 visa as a Primary applicant, you will NOT be able to apply to sponsor your spouse on a Partner visa for 5 years from the date of grant of your Contributory Aged Parent visa. However, if you were granted this visa as a dependent child but later got married, the Sponsorship limitation does not apply to you.

  • Applicants (parents) can include their dependent children in their Contributory Aged Parent (Subclass 864) visa application if their dependent children were also included in the Sponsorship application [Form 40]. However, included children must ideally be under 18 years of age at the time of decision. It is unlikely that a dependent child who is 23 years or older will be granted this visa as an ‘additional applicant’.

  • If you hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (subclass 884) visa at the time of lodging your Contributory Aged Parent Subclass 864 visa application, you do not need to meet the ‘balance of family test’ again.

  • When you lodge this visa application – you must be in Australia.


​Assurance of Support

Assurance of Support is required to pay close to the time of decision. Currently, the Assurance of Support for Contributory Parent visa applicants is AUD 10,000 for the primary visa applicant and AUD 4,000 for any adult secondary visa applicant(s) (for 10 years). This amount is refunded 10 years after entering Australia on your Contributory Aged Parent visa. However, if you owe any debts to the Commonwealth, a State Government, or other certain bodies, those debts will be satisfied from your bond before you are refunded the remaining amount.


Please note that if the Assurance of Support is being provided by a corporation or an unincorporated body for you, the required bond amount will be AUD 20,000 (to cover a maximum of 2 adult assurees).


Cost of This Visa​

AUD $47, 955

In contrast to a Sponsored Parent (subclass 870) visa, there is no fee for the Sponsor to pay for the Sponsorship application.​

Note: at the time of lodging this visa application, the Applicant will have to pay only the base application charges (also known as ‘First Instalment’) as follows:

  • Main Applicant: AUD 4,225

  • Any additional applicants – 18 years and over: $2,110 (per Applicant).

  • Any additional applicants – 18 years and under: $1060 (per Applicant)

The following amounts in ‘Second Instalment’ are payable before this visa can be granted:

  • An Applicant who was less than 18 at the time of application and is still a dependent child of the main Contributory Agent Parent visa applicant – AUD 2,095

  • AUD 43,600 (each Applicant)

Where a ‘Second Instalment’ is required to be paid before the visa grant, the visa will not be granted unless the required amount has been paid. The visa may be refused unless the amount owing is paid within the required period.

The Applicants for this visa who already hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa will need to pay different amounts.

Estimated Processing Time

Approximately 5 – 6 Years.

(The assessment of applications for a subclass 884 visa occurs in two stages. At stage 1 – the eligibility of the visa applicant is assessed. Depending upon the assessment, the application either proceeds to be ‘queued’ or refused. At stage 2 – the Applicant continues to remain under assessment until a place becomes available and a decision may be made on the application).

The Department of Home Affairs is likely to advise you via letter or email about the estimated processing time of your Contributory Agent Parent visa (e.g., 19,420 for the Primary applicant).

If you have already lodged a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa application and later decide to lodge a Contributory Parent (Subclass 143) visa application, your place in the ‘queue’ will not be lost, as per the current Departmental policy guidelines.


See Our Blog(s) On This Visa To Learn More

  • Search ‘Contributory Parent Visa’ or ‘Parent Visa Australia’ or ‘subclass 143 visa' on our Blogs Page.

  • Click here to see our other visa services

Should you wish to discuss your circumstances and options with us, please feel free to Contact Us. We are here to help you with your Parent visa application.


Warning! Please note that Australian immigration laws and policies are highly complex and dynamic. Therefore, no information provided on this website in relation to Australian immigration laws and policies (or on any other matter) is comprehensive and intended to be legal advice. Failure to receive professional advice - tailored to your specific circumstances - may prove costly to you in many respects. Please read our Terms and Conditions.

bottom of page